Filter only shows for current month

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Filter only shows for current month

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    ptenmarketing
    Participant

I have Events Calendar PRO and Filter Bar plugins set up at http://test.zscca.org/events/ and when I try to use the Filter Bar, it only filters based on the current month – is there a way to filter so that it includes ALL upcoming events? If someone is on the site on May 31st and it says there’s “nothing available” even if something is scheduled for June 1, that really sucks. 🙁

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us! I would be happy to help you.

If you are on the Month view, then the filters are based on the current month displayed, indeed. That’s normal though — it wouldn’t make much sense otherwise, as we would need to display multiple calendars (people can still filter through the different months).

If you were talking about the List view, the Upcoming Events normally are not only based on the current month. Maybe there’s a bug with a filter in particular — could you tell which request didn’t return events from upcoming months?

Thanks in advance,
    Jeremy

ptenmarketing
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I am speaking in regards to the month view. If you look at http://test.zscca.org/events/ you’ll see that there is an event scheduled in Nova Scotia, Canada, for June 2nd that displays even while viewing May. If someone were to search for an event in Canada, for example, the search results return nothing – even though that event is already clearly visible. It’s very confusing and frustrating from my side, as I would like for my visitors to receive comprehensive search results. It would be great if the search results could just filter OUT non-relevant events and keep the view format exactly the same as the standard month, where the user has to manually flip through the months to see things.

Thank you!

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

Indeed, events at the beginning of the following month are visible, even though search results from the current month return 0 event.

What you could do to overcome that problem is to add the following snippet in your css (you can head to Appearance > Customizr > Additional CSS):

.tribe-events-calendar .tribe-events-othermonth div {
        display: none;
    }

Thay way, last days of the previous month and first days of the following month won’t appear when looking at a given month. I’m not sure that what you were looking for though, but it might help showing more comprehensive search results to your visitors.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

ptenmarketing
    Participant

Hi Jeremy,

No, I definitely do NOT want to hide any upcoming events… I want people to be able to see what’s ahead. Any other solutions? I’m really disappointed after buying the filter plugin that it’s limited like this. 🙁

Thanks

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi,

I understand you want people to be able to see what’s ahead… but as long as they’re looking at a calendar showing “Events for May 2018”, it’s tricky to show results for upcoming months.

A workaround would be to set your default calendar view as a List view, that way the current month wouldn’t be a restriction anymore when your visitors will use the filter bar.

Would that be an option?

Cheers,
    Jeremy

ptenmarketing
    Participant

My client would prefer not to use the list view, if possible. If the default calendar view shows all events, even upcoming, wouldn’t it be possible to just keep that same sort of view style and just show only the selected categories? I don’t see how it’s much different to show filtered-upcoming events versus the default all-upcoming events…

Andras
    Keymaster

Hello prenmarketing,

Jeremy is out this week so I’m jumping in instead.

Do I understand correctly that the issue is the following:

If on month view in May you search for “Race” in the Search field of the Tribe bar, then you get the message ‘There were no results found for “Race” this month. Try searching next month.’, and (but) the event is shown on June 2?

Would it be a solution for you if that message wouldn’t show up at all?

Let me know.

Cheers,
    Andras

ptenmarketing
    Participant

I will try to explain it another way:

When viewing the default month/calendar view with NO filter/searches, all events are shown both for the currently visible month AND any upcoming months. This is great.

What we want is, when searching OR filtering, for ALL events matching the criteria to be shown both for the currently visible month AND any upcoming months – just like the regular default month/calendar view, but with only the matching results visible.

It makes no sense for someone to search for something in the future only to be told that it doesn’t exist, even if it does.

Andras
    Keymaster

Thanks for the clarification.

For the sake of the example let’s say the current month is May.

If you are looking at the month view in May and you run a search, then only the May month will show up with the results (plus the couple 1-2 days before and after to fill the rows). It is not possible to show May and June and July months together. At least not out of the box.

I guess with some major custom development that would be possible, but that is beyond the scope of our support.

If that is the feature you are looking for then I can share with you a list of freelance developers who might be able to help you out.

However, in list view this works as you described. The filtering / search will give you results from the coming months.

If after running a search in month view in May and you only want the May month (and the 1-2 extra days before and after) to show up, that is what you get.

It makes no sense for someone to search for something in the future only to be told that it doesn’t exist, even if it does.

You are absolutely right about that. How the month view works is that when you run a search the search runs in the selected month.

Does this clarify? I hope I didn’t misunderstand your question again, that would be embarrassing. 🙂 Let me know.

Cheers,
    Andras

ptenmarketing
    Participant

Yes, and this was the primary reason we purchased this plugin. VERY disappointed that it does not support this feature. Why show ALL events for upcoming months in the calendar view but not support that same functionality for a filtered view? Just makes no sense…

Jeremy
    Keymaster

Hi prenmarketing,

I’m sorry the feature you were hoping for is not currently supported.

If you think the feature you’ve mentioned would be a nice added value for you and lots of other people, it would be great if you could share it with us on our UserVoice 🙂

The suggested features which get lots of votes have high chances of being added in future versions of our plugins.

Thanks a lot,
    Jeremy

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter only shows for current month’ is closed to new replies.