Filter Distance

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Filter Distance

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    calumjamesgreen
    Participant

Hi I was wondering if you could help me

Might be a silly question but I was wondering when the distance within 10 miles for example is that from the current location of the user? Is there any way that I can can create this to do it form a postcode that would be specified?

Thanks

Calum

Barry

Hi Calum,

So basically you want to figure out what the user’s current location is and pre-populate the location field? If so, definitely possible, but it’s very much custom development territory.

There are various libraries and so on that would be helpful here (check out Net_GeoIP for instance) but something like this is really a modification we’d need to leave in your hands 🙂

Does that answer your question?

calumjamesgreen
    Participant

Hi Barry,

Sorry what I meant was that currently it says distance 5km but it doesnt say what that if 5km from?

Also in terms of user position I was more thinking about a box where I can insert a postcode and then it searched distance based on that?

Thanks

Calum

Barry

Sorry what I meant was that currently it says distance 5km but it doesnt say what that if 5km from?

Ahh, I see.

It means 5km from whatever location the visitor searched against. So if, for example, a customer enters London, UK in the location field then the distance is relative to the centre-point of that city (as determined by Google).

Also in terms of user position I was more thinking about a box where I can insert a postcode and then it searched distance based on that?

I’m not quite sure if you mean that you as the site admin would specify a postcode and all location-based searches would be relative to that, or if customers would enter a postcode (if so, and if Google’s geolocation API supports it, they should be able to use the existing map view fields “as is”).

If what you want is the first of those, however, I’m afraid that’s a sufficiently advanced customization to be something we’d really need to leave in your hands to drive forward.

Does that help or at least clarify things?

Barry

Hi! It’s been a while so I’m going to go ahead and close this thread. If we can help with anything else, though, please don’t hesitate to create new threads as needed. Thanks!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter Distance’ is closed to new replies.