Filter Bar filter settings not carrying over from month view to list view

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Filter Bar filter settings not carrying over from month view to list view

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kosovichmedia
    Participant

I have a scenario where if I am looking at a month view of hundreds of events and make a selection in the filter bar to narrow the results, everything works perfectly up to this point. I see a more narrow view with fewer events, but there are still more events than will fit in the small calendar square so the first 3 events show, and then there is a link that says, “View all 14 Events” on a particular day. The problem occurs when one clicks on the link to “View all 14 Events” on that day, the next screen displays a listing of all events on that day, rather than only the listing carrying over the filter settings from the previous view. I have username/password for review because the site is in construction and ready to launch as soon as this last problem is fixed. Please help!

Barry

Hi: sorry you’re having problems with this.

I’m not sure we’d regard that as a bug – though I can appreciate your point of view. I’ll certainly log it as something we need to discuss. In the meantime, please do consider posting this as a feature request (that’s especially useful as others can then indicate if they support the idea. Similarly, if you find a suitable existing issue you can add your support to that instead of creating a new request).

Thanks!

kosovichmedia
    Participant

I can provide you username and password to see the issue. I tend to see it as a bug because when someone is viewing the Month view and sees three events that fit the search criteria, then they see there are 14 more events that fit the criteria, I would imagine clicking the link to “See all 14 Events” should bring up a page with only those 14 events, rather than the listing of all possible events.

I am not sure why the filter criteria aren’t carrying over to the next page. If a filter is applied on the Month view and then shows a link to see a listing of all events that fits the criteria, I would think clicking that link should show only those events? It seems this would be how the system should be designed, shouldn’t it?

I can share a username/password to showcase the example if it helps to diagnose the problem. I appreciate so much of what the Filter Bar offers and hope this is a relatively easy fix1

Thanks for considering and helping to find a resolution!

Chris

Barry

That’s ok, I can see it locally – I’m just not sure if we’d treat it as a bug or more of a feature request (that’s not to say we won’t address it).

One of the team has actually already logged this as a problem on our internal issue tracker and I’ve noted down that you’d also be in favour of a change here – if you additionally want to create a feature request for this that’s fine, too, but not necessary by any means.

With that in mind, stay tuned for changes in future releases 🙂

kosovichmedia
    Participant

I am not sure how you can see it locally since I have a “maintenance mode’ running at the current time so the whole calendar likely isn’t available unless you have a username/password combo to see it. The site hasn’t gone live yet for public view so it has always been in maintenance mode.

I am also not sure how it can be considered as a “feature request” when the hyperlink I am talking about explicitly indicates something that it doesn’t do – it indicates, by the the nature of being a hyperlink, that if one clicks the link it will see the full listing of events that have been narrowed down by the filter settings, but it shows all events on the day despite the link indicating it should only show the 14 events for the day based upon the current filter settings.

So this seems to be more of a bug than a feature request. If the link indicated it would show all the events on the day rather than the smaller number according the filter settings I could see it being a “feature request” but this is currently showing plainly the wrong information, a bug.

Please let me know if there is someone who might be able to login to the system to verify the specifics of this case so we can find a best resolution. I apologize if I am not explaining things more accurately so I hope we can continue to dialog about the issue so we are all on the same page. There are so many great features to this plugin and this is the last issue before we set the site live so we are anxious to identify some course of action.
    Thank you,

Chris

Barry

I am not sure how you can see it locally since I have a “maintenance mode’ running at the current time so the whole calendar likely isn’t available unless you have a username/password combo to see it.

Based on your initial description I was able to replicate the same thing locally: I did not mean that I had visited your site and viewed the issue there – as I did not need to do that. What you described is, simply put, just how the plugin behaves at this time.

I am also not sure how it can be considered as a “feature request” when the hyperlink I am talking about explicitly indicates something that it doesn’t do – it indicates, by the the nature of being a hyperlink, that if one clicks the link it will see the full listing of events that have been narrowed down by the filter settings

OK – I completely understand that you view this as a bug 🙂

Another person though might assume that a link to a given day would take them to a list of all events for that day. I’m not sure we can say there is a universal right or wrong way to do things here and as I run through scenarios in my head I can see lots of cases where the behaviour you want would cause confusion for others. However, putting aside whether it’s labelled a bug or a feature request, I’d stress that this has been logged internally for further action and I’ve strengthened the report by noting you also would like to see a change there.

I’m sorry if that wasn’t clear – but we definitely will look at this issue and take appropriate action from there: realistically, though, I’d suggest you should not expect to see a change in the very next upcoming release.

kosovichmedia
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying that you were able to check on your local install instead of our version. My apologies for confusion on that.

I appreciate the fact that it has been logged in the system as an issue, and I don’t want to argue about semantics of whether it is a technically a “bug” or a “feature request” but if there is any way I can show you how the filter bar interacts with the Event Calendar Pro you can definitely see how where the a link exists that explicitly indicates to the user that they will see a listing that carries the filter bar settings and tells a user to “Click to see all 14 Events” and then it does not do what it says. It shows all events for the day. I wouldn’t bring up the issue if the link simply said “Click to see all Events” or “Click to see all 64 Events” but since a user would be using the filter bar to narrow results, it just strikes me as rendering the Filter Bar somewhat useless in the Monthly view because it doesn’t lead people down the right path. Hopefully there is a fix to this soon and we appreciate your help. It is just hard building a project around the plugins when we are not able to provide users with the views of data they select.

Barry

Hi Chris:

a listing that carries the filter bar settings and tells a user to “Click to see all 14 Events” and then it does not do what it says. It shows all events for the day. I wouldn’t bring up the issue if the link simply said “Click to see all Events” or “Click to see all 64 Events”

Yes definitely – you’re right and I didn’t quite pick up on that aspect, though it’s perfectly clear on re-reading. Sorry for any confusion there – we’ll certainly take it forward as a bug.

kosovichmedia
    Participant

Thank you Barry. I have more to report. It appears that all of the pages that have links to “Next” in some fashion or another cause the filter bar settings to “reset” on the next page. So if a user uses the filter bar to generate a smaller listing of the results, we have it set to show only 30 results, when the user clicks “Next” we are finding that the filter bar resets and shows to next 30 of everything in the potential data set, rather than the filtered items.

We thought we were only experiencing it in only the Month View of the calendar, but we are getting it in the list views as well.

Filter Bar settings don’t seem to persist beyond the first selection on the first page. I am thinking they should carry throughout all the search results until changed. Is this signifying more of an overall issue or elevate the support since it seems more comprehensive of a problem?
    Thanks for your help finding a solution.

Chris

Barry

Hmm – so just to clarify as I’m not sure I see this but could certainly be mistaken:

• Let’s say I’m in month or list view and apply a tag filter
    • The result set is filtered correctly
    • On advancing to the next month/next page of the result set, the filter is dropped and you see all results, not just those tagged with the appropriate tag

Is that correct?

kosovichmedia
    Participant

Yes…this sounds correct and matches the experiences we have been having.

Barry

OK: I can’t actually replicate (and nor can a colleague), though we tried a few combinations. With that in mind, could you try deactivating all other plugins and switching to a default but unmodified theme like Twenty Thirteen (and/or you could do this on a duplicate testing site) and see if the issue persists under those conditions, just to eliminate the possibility that this is a conflict?

Leah

Hi there,

I just wanted to drop in and update you on the status of this issue. We are working on the upcoming 3.7 release and are happy to say that a fix for this issue will be included. Please keep an eye on your Updates and Plugins pages for an update prompt. If you have any trouble or continue to see this issue after updating, please start a new thread and we can assist you from there. Thank you for your patience while we worked on this issue.

Best,
    Leah

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter Bar filter settings not carrying over from month view to list view’ is closed to new replies.