Filter bar Bug + Missing fix for force always active filter bar

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Filter bar Bug + Missing fix for force always active filter bar

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    rsepierre
    Participant

attached video :
    https://www.useloom.com/share/675b8cfa0aa944108610ff04ab986c3a

This post follows this one (automaticly closed)
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/force-always-active-filter-bar/

The fix provided by MT support

#tribe_events_filters_toggle {
        display: none;
    }

(permalink https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/force-always-active-filter-bar/#post-1247289)

It doesn’t work because plugins it poorly implemented, first of all because this is is not a fix, it’s a hack and not very good one. Plus there is a bug (see video). When the window is resized, to mobile back to desktop, the filter back will disapear whether it is set on “show by default” or not.
    If we apply your “fix”, we wouldn’t even be able to show it back if ever a user happends to resize a window this way.

– So there is thisBUG(video) to adress : Even if we don’t wan’t to force always active bar, we didn’t ask to remove filter bar when going from mobile to desktop. And this makes it hardly implementable

– And I’m reiterating on asking about a way to force always active filter bar.

I have to say, i am generaly not impressed with the global implementation of the plug-in, nor with the extensions. Wheter on
    – how “well” it is coded,
    – how “easy” for developpers is it to work with
    – how buggy is it
    – how “themers” access to only useless files (even for a “theming” purpose)
    – poor translation (and no way to manually fix it while making it update proof nor there is an easy way to submit translations)
    – css “!important” used everywhere.
    – from what i’ve seen, the forum like to send little non working fixes over taking notes and actually fixing the plugin (topics quickly automaticly closed so matters are considered as “closed” even if they’re not.
    – Overall VERY EXPENSIVE
    (pro features are the least well implemented, which is kinda funny)

Next time, i’ll code my own system or look for an alternative, this didn’t save me any time.

Barry

Hi @rsepierre,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been disappointed by our plugins – let me see if I can address any of your questions.

It doesn’t work because plugins it poorly implemented, first of all because this is is not a fix, it’s a hack and not very good one.

It’s possible this rule will be overridden, depending on the order in which various CSS rules are loaded. Making the rule more specific, though, like the following ought to work in most cases (if you need to hide the toggle):

#tribe_events_filter_control #tribe_events_filters_toggle {
        display: none;
    }

When the window is resized, to mobile back to desktop, the filter back will disapear whether it is set on “show by default” or not.

This is true. However, in mobile view, the filters are always collapsed by default so the fact that the filters do not remain open there is actually intentional. We could probably add clarity to our documentation and even to the settings page to make this clear, however.

That apart, you’re quite right that the open state of the filters isn’t restored if you resize the viewport and return to ‘desktop’ dimensions: can I ask, do you think that will be a real problem for you and your users in practice? Our general experience has been that most users don’t really resize things in quite this manner.

rsepierre
    Participant

This reply is private.

Barry

OK, well we can certainly look at revising the behaviour of the plugin with regards to the Filter Bar’s open/closed state.

With regards to the translation issues, we’d love to hear more but it would be optimal to list the problems you are facing in a new topic as we do try hard to stick to one issue per thread. If you could provide specific examples, that would be particularly helpful.

So if you don’t wan’t to finish your plug-in make a “disable updates” button, so we can actually HARD HACK the issues for good ourselves.

We wouldn’t recommend ‘hard hacking’ the plugin and have no plans to introduce a button that disables updates, however you could of course remove your Filter Bar license key (without one, you won’t receive automated updates) and, if you are hacking it anyway, you could also change its name and version number, etc.

All in all, I’m sorry to hear the plugin hasn’t met your needs and, again, we’ll review your findings with regards to Filter Bar and consider ways to improve on this.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter bar Bug + Missing fix for force always active filter bar’ is closed to new replies.