Filter Bar activated okay, but actual event content in main views disappear

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Filter Bar activated okay, but actual event content in main views disappear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Damion
    Participant

We just bought the Filter Bar, and when I went to activate it, our main views like List and Monthly went kaput. I barely noticed the link to filter (which is closed by default, but opens by default now thanks to a changed setting).

As I used Developer Tools in Chrome and View Source to examine the contents of the page, it doesn’t look like the normal content area prints out. It seems to never get that far.

Initially, the Filter Bar, which definitely comes up, had a JavaScript error that said that “slider” wasn’t a function (a rare issue, but one that other people seemed to have), despite the jQuery dependency being the first loaded script in the header. I saw one reply say to try to move it over to checkbox instead of slider (since all of our imports didn’t actually have “cost” as imported data anyway), leaving us just Free as a checkbox, which is fine, since the error went away. We can add actual costs in future events.

We’re now error-free JavaScript-wise, but no events print out to filter in the first place =)

The license key is definitely in, in the settings. With the plug-in deactivated (its current state), all the views seems to work fine. Going back to a default theme seems to have the same issue.

Any idea what we could try? Would it help to have a new user account created for you to play with it? Like maybe I missed a spot? =)

Nico

Hi there Damion,

Thanks for reaching out to report this! Glad to help you once again šŸ˜‰

Would it help to have a new user account created for you to play with it? Like maybe I missed a spot? =)

Sure, if you have a staging/testing site please send the URL in a private reply and I’ll inspect the front-end and try to reproduce this in my end. If you can leave the site with default TweentySixteen theme and no other plugins active, it would be great!

I saw one reply say to try to move it over to checkbox instead of slider

Do you have the link to this reply in-hand? If not don’t worry!

Please let me know about it,
    Best,
    Nico

Damion
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Damion
    Participant

Wow, thanks for taking the time to sort that out.

I got rid of the Country filter and was able to replicate your solution. We do have a few international races, though; will there be a way eventually to have it still work with all filters (including Country) enabled?

These are my error logs for this subsite since it started:

[03-Oct-2016 20:00:06 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 849
    [03-Oct-2016 20:49:56 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 853
    [03-Oct-2016 21:01:40 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 849
    [03-Oct-2016 21:03:56 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 831
    [04-Oct-2016 15:11:17 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 853
    [04-Oct-2016 15:16:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 853
    [04-Oct-2016 15:18:27 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 853
    [05-Oct-2016 15:58:26 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home/eaglenes/public_html/mrf2/wp-includes/l10n.php on line 849

Which I looked up, which in turn gave me this:

https://github.com/WordPress/WordPress/blob/master/wp-includes/l10n.php which opens by saying

* Retrieves the current locale.

Does that mean WordPress core is giving the plug-in issues? Or could it be a server setup thing, like php.ini needs to be adjusted? I’m not fully versed in networking info, so I wonder if increasing that would make it work, but just to the point of letting people see a crazy long page load? =) I realize we have a lot of events, but I’d hope there was some mechanism we could put in place to keep things as quick as possible given how much info needs to be looked up/parsed.

Nico

Glad to hear the suggested solution works for now šŸ™‚

I’ll try to dig to the bottom of the issue and see if it’s a legit bug or a config issue (particular to your site). I also wasn’t able to find any known bugs that I could related to this. Maybe it’s related to the data you imported to the site? You recall seeing this error before the import?

Can you please send a database dump of the site? I’ll try to mount that in my local site and see if I’m able to reproduce the issue hence find a fix for it!

In ā€˜Events > Settings > Generalā€™ thereā€™s a button to fix venue Geolocation data, I run the fix but the Google Maps API reached the daily limit before all venues were processed. Can you try to so this tomorrow once again until all venues are fixed?

Not sure if it will help but when you have a minute please try this out!

Thanks,
    Nico

Damion
    Participant

Sorry for the delay. We had to escape the hurricane and won’t be back till Monday.

There wasn’t event data until the import, and there wasn’t a filter bar plugin installed until there were events to filter, so I’m not sure how it would work otherwise, or if it would help to add a few manual ones in to see if it brings the Country filter back to life.

I’m happy to do as you asked as soon as I get in.

Thanks again!

Damion
    Participant

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Damion
    Participant

I didn’t actually know you could use a regular Maps API key. I saw elsewhere on here someone asked about their site being slow and the response was talking about getting to use it in a newer release (4.2, I believe, which is at least where we’re at). So I went and grabbed an old one I had and now all my venues are fixed =)

Didn’t do anything for the Country filter issue but load time seems a bit better on average.

Thanks again for your continued help.

Also, your cute little baby in your avatar warms my heart.

Nico

This reply is private.

Nico

This reply is private.

Damion
    Participant

Boy, you guys sure do put a lot of work into support. These products are only around a couple hundred bucks, tops, even when you account for add-ons, and just the charges for support if you were independent from the developers all but pays for itself with how much use I’ve gotten out of you so far! Don’t think it goes unnoticed or unappreciated. The amount of automated goodies and flexibility (and the balance between them) in this whole ‘ecosystem’ of plugins is a deal at multiple times what it costs.

I’m not in a position to test this locally, but I think we’re going to go live with it as-is, and when I can test locally a little later, and try to see if that’s the issue.

I believe his game plan is to move this whole shebang to the overpowered hosting he already has. I pay 9 dollars a month for a 256MB plan, and no memory issues or CPU resource issues are recorded in cPanel, but the error log from before certainly seems to say otherwise…meanwhile he pays a couple hundred every few months for what has supported a much more bogged down bottlenecky site in the past. If it is a resource thing, maybe it’ll overcome it. If not, I’ll be happy to poke my head in and bother you guys (hopefully) one last time. What is considered “internal support?” You pass it off to a team dev over there and they scrutinize it? Kind of like an escalation?

I’m wondering how much outside caching would help, but I’d think you’d need to get the country filter to work at least one time for it to remember correctly what to store =) Maybe the database lookup itself can be cached, running a cron once a night or something to look for changes.

Thanks for the tip on the updates. We’d updated a minor release just a week or so ago, but in my plugin list it wasn’t showing them as having an update. I had to click the link at the top of the list for it to show only them, and even then, as I bulk updated, the checks in the checkboxes disappeared and that’s the only way I knew it worked. How weird!

I’m marking this as resolved because there’s likely going to be time put in before I can do as you say and test resources, and he really really really wants to bring this live and has been patient for quite a bit too as we’ve trying to get the kinks out of the old data and finish this up. If you never hear from me again, that was it and thank you immeasurably for your help.

Otherwise…I’ll be in touch šŸ˜‰

Nico

Thanks for the compliments Damion! Really stocked to hear you value our development and support work šŸ™‚ We genuinely put a lot of effort in making a great product!

What is considered ā€œinternal support?ā€ You pass it off to a team dev over there and they scrutinize it? Kind of like an escalation?

Yes, I basically create a ticket with all the necessary information for a developer to test this out in detail (which usually takes a week or more) and try to identify the culprit.

Iā€™m wondering how much outside caching would help, but Iā€™d think youā€™d need to get the country filter to work at least one time for it to remember correctly what to store =) Maybe the database lookup itself can be cached, running a cron once a night or something to look for changes.

Yeah, I guess a cache plugin is the first step to test for an improvement. I’m not sure about the specifics but again, is the first thing I’d try.

Iā€™m marking this as resolved because thereā€™s likely going to be time put in before I can do as you say and test resources, and he really really really wants to bring this live and has been patient for quite a bit too as weā€™ve trying to get the kinks out of the old data and finish this up. If you never hear from me again, that was it and thank you immeasurably for your help.

Perfect! From our side I’ll log a ticket to review the country filter performance. If you open up a new ticket about this issue make sure to mention I helped in the past so the person getting it can ask me for details or maybe I can just takeover and continue to help.

Best of luck with the launch of the site and thanks for being a great customer!

Cheers,
    Nico

Victor
    Keymaster

Hello Damion!

Just wanted to share with you that a new maintenance release (for the Week of 2 October 2017) is out, including a fix for the country filter performance issue šŸ™‚

Find out more about this release ā†’ https://theeventscalendar.com/maintenance-release-week-2-october-2017/

Please update the plugins and see if the fix works for your site. Don’t hesitate to open a new topic if anything comes up.

Best,
    Victor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The topic ‘Filter Bar activated okay, but actual event content in main views disappear’ is closed to new replies.