extra Additional Field option showing in Filter Bar

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar extra Additional Field option showing in Filter Bar

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Lindsay
    Participant

We’ve just upgraded to 4.0 and have started using our Additional Fields with the Filter Bar.

Our Additional Field has the options Adult, Baby, Toddler, and Older Child.

However, when we go to the front end and look at the Filter Bar dropdown, we see it has an additional option: Self. This used to be an option on the Additional Field, but we have since removed it.

Please see the screenshots at http://imgur.com/a/bqJGB

I would expect an option that we have removed from the Additional Field to be removed from the Filter Bar too. Can this be fixed?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy Nucreative,

Thanks for being so thorough in detailing the issue. I would love to help you with this.

The Filter Bar on the front end will continue to show any options that are still selected for an event in your calendar. When you delete an option for a field the calendar does not go through your database and delete every mention of that option from the events in your database. The reason is because some people don’t want it to do that, and would be very alaramed at the calendar deleting their data.

However you canedit the events that still have that old option, change their setting, and cause the option to fully disappear from the Filter Bar. To do this select the now defunct option in the Filter Bar and get a list of all events that have that option selected. Edit the event, select a different option, and hit save. Do this for each event. And you’re all set!

Does that all make sense? Will that work for you? Please let me know.

Cheers!

– Brook

Timothy Lindsay
    Participant

Hi Brook, thanks for your reply. That makes total sense, and I did wonder whether this might be what was happening.

Thing is, I did go to those events’ edit pages to have a look if this option was there for me to uncheck, and it wasn’t… there were only 4 checkboxes.

I’m going to try going back to the Additional Field, add ‘Self’ as an option again, then go back to the event and look for the checkbox again.

Timothy Lindsay
    Participant

Yep, that worked! Adding the old ‘Self’ option to the Additional Field again made the checkbox reappear in the event edit page, allowing me to uncheck it.

Once I had updated all events in this way, the option disappeared from the Filter Bar.

Luckily for me, we didn’t have many events that still had this option selected. It may have been a much bigger task otherwise. For that reason, I think it would be useful to have a feature where you can bulk edit Additional Fields. It’s reasonable to assume that the options in Additional Fields could change from time to time, and when they do, I may not want the old ones appearing in the Filter Bar.

Could I make this a feature suggestion?

Brook
    Participant

Howdy nucreative. That is a good suggestion. Particularly if it prompted you and asked if you also want to remove it from the data from past events.

The best place to suggest a feature is here: UserVoice (feature suggestion page for The Events Calendar). We can easily keep track of demand for features there, so we try to keep them all of one place. If you want to also suggest it there that would be awesome too.

Thanks. Let me know if there is anything else I can do. Cheers!

– Brook

Timothy Lindsay
    Participant
    Brook
    Participant

Thank you very much for the feedback and sharing the request! Let us know if you ever need anythimg else.

Cheers!
    – Brook

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The topic ‘extra Additional Field option showing in Filter Bar’ is closed to new replies.