Custom Translation – How to upload?

Home Forums Additional Help Translations Custom Translation – How to upload?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    nicekicks
    Participant

I translated the app for my site in a language that my users would use. How do I upload the changed .po file to take effect?

Leah

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for posting. Any chance the language translation you did could be added to the main plugin? We are always hoping to expand our translations.

To use your new .po file, add it to the plugins /lang folder. You’ll need to have a translation for each of our plugins you’re using. Make sure you also add the corresponding .mo file, and that the files follow the naming convention of the other .po/.mo files and have your language’s suffix (ex. fr_FR).

The next thing is to change the language code in your wp-config.php file. If you’re not familiar with doing that, you can follow the instructions here.

Let me know if you have any trouble and I’d be happy to help out 🙂

Best,

Leah

Leah

Very cool! I do want to caution you about using the translation files that way though. Translation files change with each release as the plugin changes, and strings are changed, added, or deleted. You’ll want to make sure that your file is not overwritten when you update to a new version of the plugin- I recommend saving the file outside your WordPress folder just in case.

Additionally, you may need to update your “translation” once in a while to handle changed or added strings. To do that, open the file in PoEdit and then click Category –> Update from POT File. Select the .pot file from the plugin’s /lang folder, and the new strings will then be available in your .po file for you to translate.

Best,

Leah

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Custom Translation – How to upload?’ is closed to new replies.