CSV Import loop

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar CSV Import loop

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Center for Inquiry
    Participant

Hi there,

I’m working on a complicated migration of event listings from a very old Expression Engine site to WordPress and your CSV import option is great. However, I’ve been testing my export settings with Expression Engine to get the fields to show up right in The Events Calendar. I’ve realized that I had the description field set up wrong and as such it randomly offset some of my CSV fields. I’ve been using Bulk Delete to clear out the events posts so that I can import a CSV again, but every time I delete any events the CSV import starts again. I’ve even deleted the plugin and reinstalled it and it again imports the CSV.

Is there a way to set the CSV to import only once?

Patricia

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

That is a strange behavior as CSV imports only run by demand and can’t be scheduled (unless you were deleting events while the import was still in progress?).

You can decide what happens to events on your site if they are re-imported by accessing your Dashboard and heading over to Events -> Settings -> Imports -> Event Update Authority.

We have an article about EA import settings: it is a little bit outdated but might be helpful to better understand some of the available options:

https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/event-aggregator-import-settings/

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else and I’ll be happy to assist.

Regards,

Patricia

Patricia

Hi,

One more thing, I’m moving this Thread to our Event Aggregator forum as this topic is not associated with Filter Bar.

Let me know if you need anything else in the mean time!

Cheers,

Patricia

Center for Inquiry
    Participant

The import told me it was finished each time before I started deleting events. I did notice that when I ran the CSV import I didn’t have the “Do not re-import events. Changes made locally will be preserved.” option chosen. I’m guessing that because I imported my CSV under the default “Overwrite my event with any changes from the original source.” option, that this would just continue happening. Definitely strange default behavior. Changing that setting after also didn’t stop the import from looping.

The only solution I found was to delete the source CSV in the media folder. Since then I’ve made sure that my Event Update Authority setting is ideal before importing CSVs. I would certainly have someone look into this, as this is strange default behavior.

Patricia

Hi there,

This is definitely something worth investigating. Can you please share with us in a private reply your CSV file?

You mentioned that you are using Bulk Delete to clear out the events and that this process triggers Events Aggregator and the CSV import starts again by itself (without your request). I can’t think of anything else except an unusual plugin conflict causing the issue here.

Once you share your CSV file with us, I’ll run some tests from my end to further investigate.

Thanks!

Regards,

Patricia

Center for Inquiry
    Participant

This reply is private.

Patricia

Hi there,

I’ve imported your events and deleted them using Bulk Delete plugin and could replicate the issue you are experiencing from here. I believe that since the events are only partially removed, EA is triggered to import the missing info again and ends up duplicating events.

Bulk Delete is throwing this DB error when trying to delete events:

WordPress database error Deadlock found when trying to get lock; try restarting transaction for query UPDATE wp_postmeta SET meta_value = 'a:19:{s:12:\"_EventOrigin\";i:1504013453;s:17:\"_EventShowMapLink\";i:1504013453;s:13:\"_EventShowMap\";i:1504013453;s:12:\"_EventAllDay\";i:1504013453;s:15:\"_EventStartDate\";i:1504014621;s:13:\"_EventEndDate\";i:1504014621;s:18:\"_EventStartDateUTC\";i:1504014622;s:16:\"_EventEndDateUTC\";i:1504014622;s:14:\"_EventDuration\";i:1504014622;s:20:\"_EventCurrencySymbol\";i:1504014622;s:22:\"_EventCurrencyPosition\";i:1504014622;s:10:\"_EventCost\";i:1504014622;s:9:\"_EventURL\";i:1504014622;s:14:\"_EventTimezone\";i:1504014622;s:18:\"_EventTimezoneAbbr\";i:1504014622;s:24:\"_tribe_aggregator_origin\";i:1504014622;s:24:\"_tribe_aggregator_record\";i:1504014622;s:24:\"_tribe_aggregator_source\";i:1504014622;s:25:\"_tribe_aggregator_updated\";i:1504014622;}' WHERE post_id = 3584 AND meta_key = '_tribe_modified_fields' made by do_action('admin_init'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, BD_Controller->request_handler, do_action('bd_delete_posts_by_post_type'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, Bulk_Delete_Posts::do_delete_posts_by_post_type, Bulk_Delete_Posts::delete_posts_by_post_type, wp_delete_post, delete_metadata_by_mid, do_action('delete_post_meta'), WP_Hook->do_action, WP_Hook->apply_filters, Tribe__Tracker->register_added_deleted_meta, update_post_meta, update_metadata

To avoid this issue and correctly remove events from your database, I would suggest you to delete them using the native WordPress option. This way you can rest assured that your events will be successfully removed and the import process won’t be triggered again to replace the partial missing data.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or need further assistance on this.

Best regards,

Patricia

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘CSV Import loop’ is closed to new replies.