Creating an English translation – Poedit copy question

Home Forums Additional Help Translations Creating an English translation – Poedit copy question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    irishrunner16
    Participant

Hey Leah,

I’m finally going to be using Poedit to create English .po/.mo files to change the terminology on my site. I realize this question is more for Poedit that TEC, but given your expertise with translations I figured I’d reach out to you about it after coming up empty on the search engines.

Is it possible to copy all the terms (or do a bulk copy) from the source text? I see that you can do CTRL+B for each line, but if there’s a way to copy all that’d be a big time saver ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks!
    Sean

irishrunner16
    Participant

PS – I got my en_US.po/.mo files created – if a bulk copy option does exist I’d still be interested in that for future reference ๐Ÿ™‚ – and my new terminology is showing up fine on PRO and Community event, except the “Narrow Your Results” in the Filter Bar is not showing my translation. Any idea why that might be? I’ve got the files named as tribe-events-filter-view-en_US.po and tribe-events-filter-view-en_US.mo and tried clearing my cache, but its still not showing the translation for that string. I’m stumped!

Leah

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your note. I’m afraid I don’t know of a bulk copy option like that. You could just leave the strings that are the same in British and American English untranslated in your file, but I can see how that could make it difficult to update. You might try checking with PoEdit- let me know what you find out!

For the Filter Bar translation, I’m wondering if perhaps you are using an older .pot file from before that string got added. You might try updating your translation with the .pot file in theย Getting Startedย post. That post also describes how to update a translation with a new .po file (in step #6). If that still doesn’t work, can you upload the Filter Bar translation files here so I can check them out.

Also, would you mind sharing your translations for The Events Calendar and Events Calendar PRO? I’d love to be able to add those to our plugin so other Brits can use them ๐Ÿ™‚

Best,

Leah

irishrunner16
    Participant

Hey Leah,
    Thanks for the info! I’ll check with Poedit to see if there’s any bulk copy option. If there is any such function, I’ll let you know!
    It turns out I was using an older .pot file, so updating to 3.5 fixed the issue with that translation not being displayed on the front-end. Everything is looking good now.
    The translation I made was actually for English (United States), as I needed to change some terminology to better fit my audience. So unfortunately I don’t think that’d help with a UK translation. But if I do any “real” translation in the future I’ll definitely let you know.

Thanks again and have a great weekend!
    Sean

PS – I know you guys had said a few weeks ago you’d be sending something to me in the mail. I’m certainly not asking for anything at all (heck, I was surprised by the generous offer at the start!); just wanted to let you know that I hadn’t received anything yet…not that it was anything insured, but in case it was, just wanted to give you a heads up so you wouldn’t have paid the to only have it get lost in the mail system. It wouldn’t be the first time they’ve lost something! ๐Ÿ™‚

Leah

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your note! Our SwagMaster came down with a nasty illness right when I last chatted to you about the goodies, hence the delay. I believe something is flying through the mail to you now. Thanks for your patience!

Best,

Leah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Creating an English translation – Poedit copy question’ is closed to new replies.