Categories only

Home Forums Calendar Products Filter Bar Categories only

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Daniel
    Participant

Hi,
    we just purchased the pro and filter bar add-ons to your excellent event calendar.
    Now what I need is basically JUST the category filter to be visible – without the filter bar and other stuff.

I know my way around themes and code and I’ve isolated the bit displaying the category thing, but now I need to change the text to a button and it’s not inside filter-view-horizontal.php.
    How can I change the h3 class="tribe-events-filters-group-heading" bit to just be a link with a button class?
    Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Or, stepping it up a notch, is it possible to add this to the search-bar?

Thanks
    Daniel

Hunter

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your purchase and welcome to the premium plugin support forums. Without dedicating too much time on the matter, I did a quick search in the wp-content folder on my test site and found results relative to the

h3 class="tribe-events-filters-group-heading"

in /the-events-calendar-filterbar/src/Tribe/Filter.php.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction and have a great rest of your day. Cheers!

Daniel
    Participant

Hey Hunter,

thanks for the reply and taking the time.
    I’ve been there already – but have yet to figure out how to edit this file without actually editing plugin files.
    How do I make this part of my theme. Where do I copy this file to edit, or is that not possible and I need to hack the plugin itself?

Thanks,
    Danniel

Hunter

Thank you for further elaborating on the matter. This would be advanced, but you could potentially unhook the displayFilter() method (which fires during the tribe_events_filter_view_do_display_filters action) and replace it with your own method. That replacement method might even call displayFilter() itself, but trap its output and modify it however you want. Unfortunately this is about all the support I can provide, but it’s a good place to start.

Sorry I can’t do more in this instance and for what is covered in the support forums, please review our What support is provided for license holders? Knowledgebase article.

Best of luck and have a great rest of your week. Cheers!

Daniel
    Participant

Thanks, but that goes a little beyond my capabilities :-/
    Does “unhook” mean “remove_filter”?
    I’d then copy the existing public function displayFilter(), change it around and then use “add_filter”?

Do I need to rename the function or can I stick with displayFilter()?
    ( I know that we’re deep in custom-code-land 🙂

On the other hand, any attempts to move the damned thing via CSS have so far failed … I can’t position it absolutely because as soon as I give the wrapping element a relative position the dropdown won’t open anymore.
    Floating doesn’t work either … so right now I’m a little stuck 🙁

Thanks.
    BTW, so far my adapted calendar has pleased the powers that be. Theming the calendar is, for the most part, pretty straightforward and your documentation is great (like the json additional data for tooltips).

Hunter

Welcome back,

Does “unhook” mean “remove_filter”?

Yes, more info can be found here.

Do I need to rename the function or can I stick with displayFilter()?

You can stick with displayFilter().

Thanks for the compliments, we appreciate the kind words! Sorry I can’t do more here and if things get beyond your level of expertise, it might be best to look into hiring a professional to help further assist.

Cheers!

Daniel
    Participant

Just wanted to let you know that I solved the issue – I decided to just use CSS to get the filter to where I wanted it to be and not dive into hooks and all that 🙂

Hunter

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for letting me know you’ve got things figured out and also for sharing your solution for others to learn from. Feel free to create a new thread if you have any more questions or comments and have a pleasant evening. Cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Categories only’ is closed to new replies.