wp_dropdown_categories

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO wp_dropdown_categories

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Christopher
    Participant

Thanks a million!

Rob

Thanks Leonard 🙂

Carlos
    Participant

Hey Leonard, Any chance of a user tutorial or some more detail for the non developers? I’m itching to get this on my site.

Thanks
    C

Christina
    Participant

This creates a basic dropdown with a submit button. Are you looking for something more than that?

<form action="" method="get">

TribeEvents::TAXONOMY,
    'selected' => 0,
    'hierarchical' => 1

) ); ?>

Christina
    Participant

Hmmm, that messed up the code. How do I insert code?

Christina
    Participant
    Carlos
    Participant

Thanks Christina!
    A totally noob question, but in which file do you put the code?

Checked out the site u gave as a demo…looks Great! Obviously off topic, but how did u do the double color formatting on the event calendar entries?

Christina
    Participant

Hi Carlos, you put the code where ever you want to the dropdown to appear. In my case, I have a special sidebar for my events pages, so I put the code there.

The color coding is all done with css. For some of the events, I’ve assigned a background color. For other types of events I’ve assigned a border-left. It works very well for the type of calendar I’m doing because each event will have a background-color and border that correspond to the legend.

The guys at tri.be have provided a basic css primer to color code events. It’s located here: https://theeventscalendar.com/coloring-your-category-events/

Carlos
    Participant

Thanks Christina. That’s what I thought but wasn’t sure.
    Added the longer of the 2 codes as a custom widget in my sidebar, but it’s returning an odd error.
    I’ve left it in place if you want to take a peek as it may be something you encountered before. Basically some of the php is displaying above the drop down as text and the drop down itself says “name>?”

http://sustainableelements.ca/se/test/2012-03/

With the two tone coloring, have you just assigned an event to more than one category to achieve this?
    Really appreciate the help!
    C

Rob

Thanks for sharing this so far, Christina! Most appreciated from all of us on the team.

Christina
    Participant

No problem, Rob. Glad to help out. Although I’m sure Leonard’s solution will be more elegant.

Carlos, the error indicates you put the code in a file called “custom_functions.php”. That doesn’t sound like a template file. The code I posted would go in an actual template file, in the location you want the drop down to appear. It doesn’t belong in your function.php. The only prerequisite is that you are referencing the jquery library.

(and yes, each event is assigned multiple categories – one indicates a sport and the other a skill level)

Rob

Awesome! Thanks so much, Christina.

Carlos
    Participant

Thanks for the guidance Christina! What you found is most likely a consequence of my site using Thesis theme. The guys at ECP are working their way through some templates for Thesis which should allow me to place your code where I ts meant to be.
    I revisited your site and noticed your drop down is actually being used to redirect the user to a different webpage within your site and you have a clickable list for filtering the Calendar. From what I see in the code you sent me, the dropdown it creates is used to filter the calendar. Am I correct? The list works really well I can see why you used it. I’m in a similar situation where I’m using multiple categories per entry.

Anyone know if there is a way to filter the calendar by Venue, City, or Organization?

Rob any chance the drop downs will come as a widget in 2.1?

Thank you everyone for helping out the noob!

Christina
    Participant

Having the ability to filter the calendar using multiple criteria (like find all music events in Paris next week) would be amazing. The only calendar I’m aware of that provides that ability is the hosted calendar Trumba, and it is $99/mo – too expensive for most small organizations.

With ECP you can use custom menus to create individual links for each Venue and/or Organizers. You can use dropdowns for categories. Maybe we will get more filtering functionality moving forward. I’d love it.

Rob

We definitely are planning on implementing more filtering functionality down the road, somewhere during the 2.1 lifecycle. Not sure it will get as advanced as filtering by multiple criteria in the beginning, but that’s a solid idea (not one we’d heard much of so far) and I’m going to look into it further. Appreciate the tip.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • The topic ‘wp_dropdown_categories’ is closed to new replies.