Help Desk

Translation Strings doubled on ET / TEC

Hi there

I know this will be quite a lot of work for you guys to refactor all of this.
    Just as a quick note: This is not an urgent topic, but maybe should go on your agenda for the next big realease coming in January.

As @oheinrich and me walked through all the german translation to complete them we have seen so many exact same strings to translate on ET and TEC. As a small example i have attached you a screen showing the first side from both. I marked you the strings which are obvious available on both sides.

I strongly believe that this is not the best way to deal with translations for both sides. On one hand side for us translators, because we have to work twice to get the results we wanted . But also for you and us when we start searching on .po files when we see untranslated strings. Because we are actually never sure where to search these strings now (without looking them up in the code,..) we always have to search in all activated plugin .po files.

I think we all can work more efficiently if you cut all the globalwide used strings out of the plugin po’s and make another .po for the globalwide products of modern tribe. (may tribe_commons is designated for that?)

Let me know what you think about the idea and if you already have planned something like that.

Thanks
    Brian

Brian,

Great minds think alike, didn’t see your thread but posted this today: https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/wondering-about-the-same-strings-turning-up-in-multiple-translation-environments/

I am sure we will all benefit from possibly migrating to one major .PO-file for all common translations… Or, let’s think out of the box, just one major tribe common PO containing all strings for ALL plugins, removing the duplicates but also granting us translators some much appreciated relief ๐Ÿ™‚

Hallo Brian und hallo Hans

Vielen Dank fรผrs Feedback.

(I could continue in German, but it would take a lot of effort as it’s just Friday night so I’m getting a bit dizzy. ๐Ÿ™‚ )

WOW! Thanks again for this feedback! It really makes me happy to see people working with our plugins, paying attention to them and suggesting improvements.

I’m also a big sponsor of improvements and making things easier so your thread ended up in good hands. I’ll mark your feedback and will bring it up in our next weekly team meeting. Then we see where we will get with this.

Have a great weekend and good luck with your projects!

Cheers,
    Andras

Thanks Andras for the follow up. Great to here that you will bring his in in your next meeting.
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Brian

Hi Andras,

If you would have continued in German, I would have to use Google Translate as well, since German is quite different compared to Dutch ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to your reply!
    Hans

Hello and Happy Monday!

Erm, yeah, your name, Hans was misleading, but I bet @websource would have understood. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, thanks again for reporting this. I’ll close this topic pending fix and I’ll get back to you as soon as I have any news.

Cheers and have a great week / Heb een goede week / wรผnsche euch eine groรŸartige Woche ๐Ÿ˜‰

Andras

Hi Andras

Any Christmas Present for us? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thanks for the Update
    Brian

Hello Brian and happy new year!

I’m sorry for the somewhat belated reply. I left a couple days earlier before Christmas so I can help Santa wrap all the gifts. Poor dude is always so overloaded… ๐Ÿ™‚

There is no update on this ticket yet. We were busy squashing some high impact bugs before the holiday, that seemed to have worked. We’re soon going to go through our tickets again to see what can make it to the next release(s). I will keep you updated if there’s any news.

Cheers,
    Andras