tag archive – show event listing similar to category page?

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO tag archive – show event listing similar to category page?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sally Richardson
    Participant

I have read that event tags are like normal tags, but event categories have their own special treatment. This explains why I get the layout of our wordpress theme tag page when I click on a tag. Is there any fairly simple way to alter this so that a page similar to the category page displays for the tag in question ie a proper display of the event information? Ideally it would look exactly the same as the category page. For various reasons I need to use categories AND tags for filtering the display of events – hence my question!
    I did find this:
    https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/show-tags-similar-to-categories/
    but it did not develop ( and is in Spanish anyway!).

Whilst on this subject – can I also ask if it is possible to change the word category which sits in part of the url of a category page? example:

http://www.tashmina.co.uk/concerts/category/london-conchord-ensemble/

I have used your wonderful documentation to change “category” to “agency artist” everywhere else, but I don’t suppose it can also be changed within the url? This is far less important than the first question above btw!

Cliff

Hi Sally.

As stated in the forum post you linked to, Event Categories is a custom taxonomy (and therefore we provide a view for it), but the Tags you can assign to Events are shared across both Posts (regular blog posts) and Events (the tribe_events custom post type).

Therefore, whatever your active theme or child theme uses for its tag.php template file is what will be used.

You can learn more at https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/basics/template-hierarchy/#visual-overview

===

Regarding changing the slug or name for a Tag, Category, or Event Category, you can do something like this: https://cl.ly/3J1r1z3M2d1A

===

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Sally Richardson
    Participant

Thank you very much for your help. I did understand that “Event Categories is a custom taxonomy (and therefore we provide a view for it), but the Tags you can assign to Events are shared across both Posts (regular blog posts) and Events (the tribe_events custom post type)”. It is for this reason that I have a problem as the theme’s tag archive template does not include event data. Essentially I am trying to get a special calendar events view for tags as well as for categories. We do not need to use one overall list of tags as our event tags are quite different to our post tags and can be handled separately.

So…I am hoping I can have for example “event-tags” as a custom taxonomy which in turn calls a template/view for event tags eg event-tags.php. I would then want the event-tags.php temnplate to be almost a copy of the event categories template, assuming one can find it – copy it and adjust it? Is this the right way to go? Or can an additional field (Pro) achieve what I am trying to do overall?

For part B of my original question let’s leave it for now as I did not explain it clearly enough and it is far less important. The answer you have kindly given me does not address my question but I will post a separate question about this at some point in the future.

Thanks for all your help

Cliff

Sally, the staff member who replied in Spanish to the other forum thread you linked to said he pretty much said the same thing as I’ll have to say to you:

We’re limited in helping with customizations, per our Scope of Support / Terms. However, I believe you’re requesting the same thing as one of our existing feature requests: Event tags not to mix with Post tags

Please do add your vote there.

This allows us to gauge interest in this particular feature request, which helps us prioritize our development efforts.

Thank you.

Support Droid
    Keymaster

Hey there! This thread has been pretty quiet for the last three weeks, so we’re going to go ahead and close it to avoid confusion with other topics. If you’re still looking for help with this, please do open a new thread, reference this one and we’d be more than happy to continue the conversation over there.

Thanks so much!
    The Events Calendar Support Team

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘tag archive – show event listing similar to category page?’ is closed to new replies.