Help Desk

Shortcode showing featured events, next/prev and recurring checkboxes show all

• Topics: 2

On our site’s homepage, we use the following shortcode to display featured events:

[tribe_events view="photo" featured="true" tribe-bar="false"]

This works fine as far as the event display is concerned, but various UI elements which cause the calendar to reload don’t work.

When I click on the next/prev buttons at the bottom of the page, it shows the next/prev of ALL events, not just the featured ones. Similarly, when I click on the “Show only the first upcoming instance of recurring events” checkbox, it stops filtering for just the featured events and shows ALL events.

In effect, the URL generated when you click on these UI elements, eg. https://ballaratbuzz.com.au/page/2/?action=tribe_photo&tribe_paged=1&tribe_event_display=photo&tribeHideRecurrence=1 doesn’t include a “featured=1” parameter or whatever it is that it needs.

You can see our full calendar at https://ballaratbuzz.com.au/ballarat-events/ if that is helpful to you to see which events are which.

We need a solution to the next/prev buttons, or AT LEAST a good solid workaround, within the next week or so as our site is due to launch soon. (If we have to hide the “show only the first recurring event checkbox” with CSS display=none, that’s ok, but we definitely need the next/prev buttons to work.)

Hoping you can help us out!

Alex

Hi Alex,

I’m sorry that you’re running into this issue with the shortcode navigation for featured events…I tested it out on my end and am seeing the same thing. I logged this for our developers to take a look at, but unfortunately I don’t have an ETA that I can give you at the moment as to when this will be resolved. But, as soon as we have an update, we’ll let you know here.

I also tested out the issue you mentioned with filtering when the “Show only the first upcoming instance of recurring events” option is checked, but I was not able to recreate this one. Just to clarify, is the filtering lost on your end when you hit the next/previous links, or are the shortcode events not filtered at all when that option is checked?

For the time being, you might want to look at using the Events List Widget (which also has a shortcode and lets you show only featured events), but this would not allow you to use photo view. Alternatively, you could increase the number of events displayed per page under Events > Settings > General > “Number of events to show per page” or temporarily hide the navigation with CSS.

I apologize for the inconvenience that this is causing, and thank you for your patience as we work on getting it resolved! Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

Hi there,

Just wanted to share with you that this issue has been resolved in the current versions of The Events Calendar and Events Calendar Pro, which you can grab from the Downloads page of your account.

Please update the plugins and see if the fix works for your site. As always, we recommend updating first in your staging site to avoid any negative impact on your live site.

Please do let us know if you run into any further issues!