Problems with migration from v2 to v3

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO Problems with migration from v2 to v3

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bernhard
    Participant

First I want to send you a big thank you for the v3, it was really worth waiting for it! I tested it on a fresh installation and it has fantastic features.
    Unfortunately I have problems with the migration.
    My first try was to only upgrade the files (on a mirror of course) and see what happens. Well it’s not usable, you may see yourself on http://v3.ubiquarian.net/events/ it will only list events in a list without any function, even no “read more” links.
    So I set up a fresh wordpress and added one by one plugin and imported the different kind of data step by step to find a possible conflict. But all was working fine this time, the events calendar is working in general. Up to the point when I imported the venues and organizer. It added me almost 1000 “Unnamed Organizer” and “Unnamed Venue” entries. As these where exported from v2 I thought it might help to import from a v3 installation. So I moved one step back, exported the events, organizer and venues from an already to v3 upgraded and via menu merged installation (the one from above where the view is broken), and imported them again. But still I have, now only ~300, “unnamed organizer” and “- venues”.

Any idea what is going wrong? Any idea what I could try further? For my understanding at least the export from v3 and import to v3 should have worked fine?
    I can see in the export file that the venues and organizer do have names there, for example:
    [title]Theaterzelt, Neu Marx[/title]
    [link]http://v3.ubiquarian.net/venue/theaterzelt-neu-marx-2/[/link]
    (I’ve replace < by [ as I don’t know how to avoid it getting purged in this forum)
    But as you may see on the imported page it’s not imported correctly:
    http://test.ubiquarian.net/venue/theaterzelt-neu-marx-2/

Thanks in advance for your investigation. (Full access to both wp-installations is possible.)

Leah

Hi there,

I’m sorry we haven’t been in touch with a reply here. We’ve been inundated with support requests as more people update to 3.0, so we are a little behind our usual 24-hour window for responses. We do not do support over the weekend, but we will be in touch here with a more substantial reply as soon as possible.

In the meantime, some of these tips might be helpful:
    * Double check your Plugin page for updates. We’ve just released our latest maintenance release. As of 7/12, the most current versions are The Events Calendar 3.0.1 and Events Calendar PRO 3.0.2.
    * If you’re experiencing a problem with links, try resetting and resaving your permalinks.
    * If the issue is with settings, try resaving your settings page- even if you haven’t changed anything.
    * Having trouble with a customization done in 2.x? Be sure to check out our Themer’s Guide and documentation.

You might also search the forums to see if someone else has a similar issue and has found a solution. Finally, if the problem you’re experiencing is a serious problem, you may choose to downgrade back to 2.0.11.

Thank you for your patience and support.

Best,
    Leah
    and the Modern Tribe Support Team

Hi Bernhard, I actually don’t think there’s a problem with the migration here. Seems to be more of a theme integration problem.

Can you please send me a zip file with a copy of your theme at [email protected] so I can take a look?

Thanks

Bernhard
    Participant

Hi Leah,
    no worry, happily it’s not the live-page affected which is still on v2.

Thanks for the general tips, to show I take it serious I’ll give a short response to each one.
    * I’ve double checked and even downloaded the latest version one more time, also to be sure it’s not a transfer problem.
    * I had indeed problems with the permalinks, on v2 I can’t load a events-category directly, it will always return 404. I’ve flushed the permalinks 100 times, even directly in db. Categories will only load less then a minute after saving permalinks in wordpress or just opening the permalinks-config-page, short time later you can’t load it anymore (without any interaction on the page, just wait 10-30sec). But this is only with v2 so I was strongly looking forward to v3, where I had no permalink issue yet. Anyway I don’t think that permalinks are involved in the problem this time.
    * I’ve made a few fresh installs now and the problem appears before changing any setting.
    * I’ve done customization but I have replaced all v2 files, and tried with different themes, so this should also not be an issue.

Best regards!
    Bernhard.

Bernhard
    Participant

Hi Daniel,
    thanks in advance to look into this more deeply!

To save your time I’ve set up a few installations which might help to track down the issue more quickly.

* http://v3.ubiquarian.net/events/
    this is the old installation with upgraded (removed old TEC-folders, copied new files) events calendar, using my theme (Magazine Premium)
    * http://tribe1.ubiquarian.net/events/
    this is the old installation (in fact a copy from the one above), but using the original Twenty Eleven

You may see the problem is the same, on both.
    I’ve discovered where the problem comes from, it’s WPML, on more time 😉
    If I deactivate WPML on the installations above TEC will display properly. But it’s not an option not to use WPML on this page. Just for the record, TEC was not using any translation yet, WPML was used only for ‘normal’ posts and pages.
    Anyway, as this display issue does not occur on a fresh wp-install with empty TEC and empty WPML it will maybe be very hard to find the entries in the db causing the problem, as the db has more then 15MB already.

This brought me to the idea to start from scratch and import posts and pages via export/import instead of copying the db, and of course configuring all plugins again. This has worked well. After all data, except the one from TEC, was imported and everything was configured, the empty TEC did still load immaculate.

My conclusion was, I did not take the error into the new setup, and WPML and TEC do work together. Happily I started to export events/venues/organizers from the live page, and imported them into this installation. This was also working, well almost, if there would not be the “Unnamed Organizer” and “Unnamed Venue” entries.

To verify this easily I’ve setup a new installation. Empty webspace, wp 3.5.2, TEC 3.0.1 and PRO plugin only – no theme nor other plugins added. After wp was uploaded and installed I activated TEC followed by PRO. Then imported venues, organizers and events, that’s all. You may find it here:
    * http://tribe3.ubiquarian.net/events/
    Now take any of the 1000 entries and you will see EVERY venue and organizer is “Unnamed” although the name can be seen in the permalink.

For the protocoll: I had to use PRO 3.0.1 as 3.0.2 seems to be broken. Can be easily reproduced: New, empty wp-installation, add TEC and create one event. You can view this event. Now add PRO 3.0.2 and activate it -> no events can be seen anymore (page not found). But I guess until you read my lines you have probably fixed this issue and there’s a 3.0.3 😉

I’m sorry for you guys there’s a lot of work for you, and everybody wants solutions immediately. But on the other hand, your product is great and I hope you will continue your good work!

I’ll post this reply now although I had another idea that I want to try, as I write these lines. I’ll come back to you with the result later (probably no one will read this until Monday).

Cheers!

Oh, yes, we have a long standing pending of working together with the WPML folks to iron out some rough edges. I hope it’ll happen sooner rather than later.
    Thanks for the good words.

Bernhard
    Participant

Hi Daniel,
    the mentioned idea I wanted to test was to deactivate WPML on the old page and then export the venues/organizers. Same on the new page, deactivate WPML and import – but the result is the same, all have “Unnamed Venue/Organizer” as title after the import.

I did some more testing and could narrow down the problem, well surprisingly it’s not WPML related! It’s only related to the events calendar.
    I’ve set up a blank install – again 😉 – only TEC+PRO plugins nothing else, no other plugin, standard theme. I’ve created one event with one new venue and one new organizer. Then I have exported events/organizer/venues. Next I deleted these entries and imported the three files. And guess what, they are “Unnamed Venue” and “Unnamed Organizer”.
    See also: http://tribe4.ubiquarian.net/event/test-event/2013-07-15/

If I’m not totally wrong then this problem is a TEC/Pro-issue only.

Best regards,
    Bernhard.

Barry

Hi Bernhard – when you say you are exporting and importing, can you confirm what you are using to do this?

Bernhard
    Participant

The default Export/Import function of wordpress itself (“Dashboard – Tools > Export > Venues > Download Export File” and “Dashboard – Tools > Export > Organizers > Download Export File” ).

When I did the latest test it was a new empty wordpress 3.5.2 with only TEC 3.0.1 installed, no other plugins. Well of course the import-plugin did install itself by klicking “import” but this can’t be avoided.

Or was your concern that I used sql-commands directly, e.g. via phpMyAdmin? No, not this time.

I can reproduce it again and again on new installations. Am I the only one?

Btw, the export looks good to me, I can see the titles in the xml-file. In my opinion it’s the import which does not read the title-tag of the items and replaces them by a default value.

Barry

So I mean it’s possible that if for instance you export organizers, venues and events separately the “bond” between them breaks down. For instance, if you export only venues then I’m not really sure how the appropriate links with the related events would be re-established, since the import/export process does not hinge on maintaining post IDs as far as I am aware.

Bernhard
    Participant

Well I can see your point.
    But on the other hand, there’s no possibility to export events together with venues and organizers – which would be fine for me.

Also if you create only an organizer or a venue, and you export it wouldn’t you expect that an import of these will restore them?
    I just created a venue only, export > import => the venue is there but again it has no title, no name. If this is works as designed I don’t see the sense of an export/import function 😉
    Maybe it’s sometimes difficult to understand me correctly as English is not my native language, so just to be sure we are talking about the same I’ll try to summarize again 🙂

The import itself is working for events, venues and organizer. Only the -tag of the export-xml-file will not be imported. All other data is there.
    So if you create “event: My Party” by “organizer: Myself” at “venue: Home” and you export this you will have after the import “event: My Party” by “organizer: Unnamed Venue” at “venue: Unnamed Venue”. The data, like address, phone number etc, of venue and organizer is correct, gets imported and is linked, only the name of them self are gone. Organizer “Myself” is called “Unnamed Organizer”, same with venue.

Bernhard
    Participant

the forum cut of some of my text, from the last paragraph..
    “The import itself is working for events, venues and organizer. Only the -tag of the export-xml-file will not be imported. All other data is there.”

should be:
    “The import itself is working for events, venues and organizer. Only the [title]-tag of the export-xml-file will not be imported. All other data is there.”
    but replace [ with
    like it’s in the export-xml

Bernhard
    Participant

I’m sorry.. again.. and edit is not possible
    … how can I post this brackets? the “less than” and “greather than”-character..

Barry

The forum doesn’t handle various symbols or code very nicely – it is often easier to use a service such as Pastebin or Gist to share things.

You can however write a < symbol by entering &lt; and a > symbol by entering &gt; (if you really want to!).

Bernhard
    Participant

Thanks Barry, so I could use html-code, I thought about that but didn’t want to use this thread as testing-area 😉

maybe this screenshot will also help to see the problem:
    http://s20.postimg.org/924n303lp/tribe.png

now look at the import file before it gets imported, esp. line 44:
    http://pastebin.com/tPWaXauT

and this is the export after the import, again line 44:
    http://pastebin.com/54MUtTwq

You will see all of the <item>-section is the same but the <title> changed. Also the slug remains the same, which is correct.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • The topic ‘Problems with migration from v2 to v3’ is closed to new replies.