mini calendar event widget event list missing proper hentry tags

Home Forums Calendar Products Events Calendar PRO mini calendar event widget event list missing proper hentry tags

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kevin
    Participant

For each event in the event list of the mini calendar widget,there is an “hentry vevent” tag for microformats. You’ve tagged dtstart and dtend, but not the summary. (which I think would be the title)

Also not entirely sure that the hentry tag makes sense on that list, since you aren’t tagging any of the attributes for an hatom-entry item.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

I can certainly see what you mean and we can look into some changes there.

It would be helpful to us to know what actual issues this is causing for you – I would have thought tools that can parse and consume hAtom content would simply skip those items – are you finding something other than this/can you give a real life example (this is simply to help me better frame a report for this issue)?

Thanks!

Kevin
    Participant

The mini calendar generates lots of errors in Google webmaster tools (thousands of errors, in the case of our site, since the mini-calendar appears often on our pages).
    If you have a site in webmaster tools that has TEC loaded, look at the structured data tab. That will tell you if the hatom/hcalendar tags are being parsed correctly.

Kevin
    Participant

It looks like I need to filter the tribe_events_event_classes function to remove the hentry and vevent tag for the mini-calendar list. (Thought your plugin should implement this directly, since you are putting out microformat tags with no or insufficient content in the mini calendar.

How would I accomplish this to add the filter only for the mini-calendar widget? Obviously that same function gets called in the regular part of the post, and that does need the hentry/vevent tags.

Barry

Hi Kevin:

Thanks for your patience.

We are looking into this in order to improve overall hAtom integration and structured data support, or at least sensibly rationalize its usage and we are aiming to complete this task prior to the next maintenance release (though I can’t guarantee it will make it in at this point) – however I wanted you to know we appreciate you taking the time to report this and we’re going to try and take some strides in the right direction here.

How would I accomplish this to add the filter only for the mini-calendar widget? Obviously that same function gets called in the regular part of the post, and that does need the hentry/vevent tags.

You could potentially create a filter for tribe_events_event_classes to remove those classes, setting it up and then tearing it down again when the following actions fire:

• tribe_pre_get_template_part_pro/widgets/mini-calendar-widget
    • tribe_pre_get_template_part_pro/widgets/mini-calendar-widget

That would allow you to do this under fairly tight constraints and shouldn’t interfere with other areas.

Kevin
    Participant

Actually, this structured data problem is far wider than just the mini-calendar. Each of your calendar views has problems here. (month, week, day, photo, list, map)
    In all of those, you are tagging both “hfeed>hentry” and “vcalendar>vevent” in the opening tags for events, yet for many of them, you aren’t displaying any of the required fields for those items.

In many cases on these calendar views, you should be picking one or the other. For example, on the month view, your hcalendar tags for each item are done nicely, then are followed with hfeed>hentry for the same items with none of the required fields displayed.

Kevin
    Participant

With more digging, I just found that your CSS is tied to these microformats. So, when I clean up the extraneous and non-functional structured data tags, now I have to go in and alter the CSS that was referencing those classes. I think your CSS should reference the structural tags, not the semantics like this.

Barry

Hi Kevin,

I’d tend to agree: we do have an issue on the tracker for this (as per my note on Jan 9) however it became apparent the solution is going to be more involved than a quick fix, pretty much as you’ve noted, and so it is still awaiting further work.

That to say, we do indeed realize an amount of clean up is required here – and appreciate your feedback which highlights many of the issues nicely – however realistically it will be a release or two away before we can complete this piece of work.

Thanks for your support and patience in the meantime.

Barry

For the time being I’m going to close this to new replies (just to avoid it being ‘hijacked’) but we’ll certainly endeavour to update it as and when we have something to report. Thanks for your patience!

Leah

Hi there,

I just wanted to let you know that we have been working diligently on a fix for this issue. Our next release will be available soon and should correct this problem. Please keep an eye on your Plugins and Updates pages for a version update. If you are still having problems after updating, please start a new thread with the details and we can assist you.

Best,
    Leah

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘mini calendar event widget event list missing proper hentry tags’ is closed to new replies.