Help Desk

iCalendar import missing location

Hello

We have an iCalendar import from an URL running on a schedule.

The location is missing on imported events with this method. If I upload the event as a file in WordPress, the location is there.

This reply has been marked as private.

Hi, Meik.

The test.ics file you sent has no events in it. Is this actually the import file you’re expecting events from?

Sorry I misspoke in my previous reply. The .ics file was so short and didn’t have a description that my scan of its contents missed that it actually does have VEVENT in it.

Anyway, to your question… The file contains:

This isn’t a valid location: https://www.google.com/maps/search/Rødovre/

I tried using the ‘OE’ in the other file ‘test2.ics’ i uploaded previously, and Google Maps accepts that. But it still doesn’t import the location

Can we somehow make a change to make it accept ‘ÆØÅ’ since it’s much needed in our language 🙂

I’m unclear exactly what you’re asking.

test2.ics had

(no special characters)

https://www.google.com/maps/search/Roedovre/ does work, identifying it as https://www.google.com/maps/place/2610+R%C3%B8dovre,+Denmark/

Notice the URL is encoded so it doesn’t actually link to “Rødovre”

I actually tried to import test2.ics and it didn’t import even though it didn’t have any such characters in it. Is this what you experienced as well?

Yes, if I change it to a city without special characters, it doesn’t import as well.

When using .ics import, it works. But iCalendar imports are missing location. Both from scheduled and one-time imports.

Could you please provide a link to the iCal URL you are using? (Feel free to share in a Private Reply if you prefer.)

So this is the full list of events you’re actually trying to import when you said, “We have an iCalendar import from an URL running on a schedule,” in your initial message?

Or is this a test .ics output?

It’s just a test output for now. We don’t want to waste time writing the logic for generating the calendar (using iCal.NET), if it doesn’t work.

In speaking with our developers, the ø and other special characters are not an issue.

However, when both GEO and LOCATION are present in the .ics, we use the GEO and, in the case of your initially-shared test file, that GEO is not recognized by our reverse geocoding database.

Therefore, in your API, please try outputting only LOCATION and not also GEO and see if that works more how you’d want it to.

And, of course, please do let me know how this goes for you.

I don’t see the GEO property in my .ics file.

I’m not using it in our API as well, so I don’t think that is the problem

Sorry, I had a response to you that got lost amidst the back-and-forth with the development team… your .ics file does not validate at http://severinghaus.org/projects/icv/ so I downloaded one of our demo site’s event’s .ics file and modified its LOCATION to be Rødovre and the exported event’s GEO got in the way I guess.

First step is to make sure your .ics file validates, but be assured that the special character is not an issue.

The event validates now (the one on the API endpoint), but still no location when imported through iCalendar import.

The ‘ICS File’ import works (with location) on the file from the endpoint.

Using the uploaded .ics file, this venue got created: https://cl.ly/2G2W1P1P3p0F

Using the iCalendar URL produced the same.

If your question/concern is regarding the actual address information missing, it’s because our importing requires more precise location information for that part to work.

Once a venue is imported, it’ll be titled whatever the LOCATION field is. If the LOCATION field is a full address–and our geo lookup can locate it–then it will come through the address fields as well.

Are you planning to have full addresses instead of just city names?

Well, good news (but bad news)… we finally tracked down a bug from all this testing. They’re actively working on the 2 issues they found.

I marked this thread as Pending Fix, which means it should receive a reply once the applicable fix has been released. I cannot guarantee when it will be fixed as it’s in the development team’s hands now.

I apologize for this issue and appreciate your understanding and patience.

You must be logged in and hold an active support license to create new topics in the help desk. Please visit our products store to purchase a license.

Subscribe to Updates