Help Desk

Force new venue in community events?

I’m using Events Calendar to publish over a thousand events for Kids to Parks Day.

All the events are happening at parks, which means that venues will sometimes have the same name, even if they are different parks (like MLK park, or Washington Park).

So I don’t want community members submitting an event and typing in “Washington park” then choosing it, and worse… editing it.

Can you see the problem?

I’d like to have the address field open by default.

I’ve hired a developer to work with me on the project, and already ran up a bill of $500+ customizing the events calendar & community events… so now we’re in a pickle trying to get this final piece, but at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated. I’m concerned that we didn’t plan our specs correctly and chose the wrong tool, but I have faith in Events Calendar.

Please help me / my developer figure out where to look, and how to make this work.

Hi Ryan!

Thanks for getting in touch with us! Let me try to help you with this topic.

First, please let me note that we are fairly limited in how much support we can give for custom development questions like that. But, we always like helping out and at least point users into the right direction as much possible.

Just to confirm I understand what you are trying to achieve, do you only need to allow the users to create a new venue and not select one already created?

Please let me know about it.

Thanks,
    Victor

Thanks, I understand you offer limited custom support.

In this case, I hired a developer to work with me on this and she’s following this thread.

Is there anything that you can share here that would enable her to make the changes we need to force adding new events as opposed to choosing from the list?

Thanks!
    Ryan

Hi Ryan!

Sure! The venue metabox is contained in the venue.php template file located at /wp-content/plugins/the-events-calendar-community-events/src/views/community/modules/. The venue selector and fields are called around line 60 of the file.

Additionally, you might want to check the venue-fields.php template in that same folder that contains the new venue fields that show up to create a new venue.

I hope that helps. Let me know if any follow up questions.

Best,
    Victor

This reply has been marked as private.

Hi Ryan!

Sure! Let me help you with each of the points:

1. Unfortunately, I can confirm this is a bug on our end and I could find a report for this issue. I will set this thread’s status to “Pending fix” and link it to the report. This way, we will notify you once a fix is released in one of our next maintenance releases of our plugins.

We apologise for this inconvenience and we appreciate your patience while we work on it.

1. You can use the ‘tribe_events_tribe_venue_new_form_fields‘ filter to modify the template path of the template that holds the venue form fields. If you only want to modify it in the community submission form, you can use the tribe_is_community_edit_event_page() helper function to make check it before modifying the template.
    2. If you are referring to the venue website, then that is default validation from the browser because the input field is of type=url. To prevent this validation you can make a template override of the venue-fields.php file and change line 146 to be

type="text"

As a reference, let me point you to our Themer’s Guide to know more about template overrides > https://theeventscalendar.com/knowledgebase/themers-guide/

I hope it helps. 🙂

Best,
    Victor

Hey Victor, my developer was able to fix this, so the data is not being
    cleared when there’s an error. Yay!

Thanks for getting me started on the URL inputs.

Hi Ryan!

Glad to be of help here 🙂

It’s great to hear your developer could solve that issue on your end. If you think the fix could be applied to our plugins as well, feel free to share it with us and I will make sure to pass it along to the developers so they can take it into account.

Cheers,
    Victor

This thread hasn’t seen any activity for quite some time and we are not accepting further replies.

If you need further help with this or any other issue, please create a new topic (you can of course include a link to this one if that helps to provide additional context) and one of the team will be only too happy to help.