Help Desk

"Error Trying to Edit a Post"

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the email. Is this happening when you try and updated text in our forum? If so, I will check to see if its a bug if so.

Thanks,
    Brendan

Yes, this happens in your forums. The other post I referred to “Get error trying to edit forum post” was also about a post to one of your forums. See https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/get-error-trying-to-edit-forum-post/. It was closed as Resolved without an explanation why.

Since I am also getting it, I guess it is a bug of some sort. The post I referred to asked for a screen shot of the error but it wasn’t provided. That is why I provided the proof in this ticket.

FYI, the post I had tried to edit is at https://theeventscalendar.com/support/forums/topic/division-by-zero-reopened/. I had tried to edit a word in the second line to change “open” to “opened”. I got this error after I hit Submit as stated above.

Hi Cynthia,

This is weird for sure and thanks for the heads up. I will let our dev team know to check it out and get it fixed. I do not see any notes on the post you referenced on it being fixed. I am trying to reproduce the issue. Can you tell me what browser you are using?

Thanks for your time!

Brendan

Thanks.

The browser was probably Firefox. It could also have been Safari but I think Firefox because I use that more often.

Hi Cynthia,

I will try and recreate this and send the results to our team to get fixed.

Once we have a solution, I will let you know.

Thanks,

Brendan

Brendan,

I just got this same error again after making an edit to a post to a forum but I think I have figured out how it happens. You guys just need to fix why.
    1- I made an edit and added a description of what the edit was.
    2- I clicked to save the edit.
    3- It showed me the post and I looked for the edit and it hadn’t been made.
    4- I scrolled down and found the orange note that the Forum ID is missing followed by three buttons to select what I wanted to do. I clicked that I wanted notification of responses.
    5- I got a response back that I was already following it.
    6- I scrolled back to the top and noticed there is an empty box at the top with a selection arrow.
    7- I clicked the arrow and a list of products shows. I guessed that the list must be the forum ID and that I should select The Events Calendar Pro since that was the forum I posted my report in.
    8. Then I tried making the edit again and describing why I edited it.
    9. Saved it and voila! The edit was saved this time.

So the problem seems to be that when you Edit your post and you are taken back to it to make the edit, the identity of what forum it was in is lost. There is no place in the edit area that tells you the name of the forum has been removed or that you are no longer in the forum where you made the post. I assumed that if I can reopen the post to edit it, that the system would know where the post is in your support forums to save it back to. But since that has been lost, you get the orange notice that the forum ID is missing. I wonder what would happen if I’d forgotten whether it was The Events Calendar forum or The Events Calendar Pro forum and gave it a different forum ID. Would the whole thing be lost or say “Try again”? It is interesting though, that when I clicked the button below the orange note that I wanted to get mail about responses, that it knew what post I was in and was already following–just not what forum it was from. Maybe you can fix the problem by keeping the name of the forum with the post while in the edit mode?

Hi Cynthia,

Thanks for the detailed replay of how you are received this error. I will let the dev team know.

Thanks,
    Bredan

You must be logged in and hold an active support license to create new topics in the help desk. Please visit our products store to purchase a license.

Subscribe to Updates