Help Desk

Compatibility with WPML and workarounds

Hi, I know WPML is not compatible with Event Tickets Plus but are there any news on when compatibility will be included in the plugin? The feature request was addressed in September 2016 and several posts had responses like “It will be ready in march”, “it will be ready at the end of the year”….should I be holding my breath for it to be released this year?

In the meantime, I have progressed to a point that might be workable (but not ideal). I am selling tickets for a single event which is defined in a page /buy-tickets. By translating the page, switching to french, and using the wordpress editor, I am able to add new tickets to the /acheter-billets page.
    Visiting the english and french versions, I see tickets in the proper language, and am able to add tickets to the cart and it redirects me to the cart page in the correct language. The only problem with this workaround is that ticket stock amounts are not synced between languages, which I think I can live with so far. Also, it makes administration of the orders a bit more complex but still workable.
    Another option I see is to just not translate the /buy-tickets page to only have a single set of tickets. The problem is a user might be browsing the site in french, click on the button to buy tickets, and then be surprised to see the website change language back to english. Once they add tickets to the cart, they can switch back to french and follow the rest of the process in their language. Not sure what is worse: bad user experience for the visitors or for the administrator!

My questions are:
    – Are there any existing workarounds that would allow creating just one set of tickets that can then be used in both languages? With Multilingual wooCommerce I am able to translate the event names and descriptions so we are not that far away.
    – Let’s say I accept having my /buy-tickets being only available in english to not duplicate the events, is there a way to then redirect to the shopping cart in the correct language?

Good evening Jami and welcome to the Events Calendar Support forum!

Thank you for reaching out to us.
    I would love to help you with this topic.

are there any news on when compatibility will be included in the plugin?

Full disclosure we do not have a date available for WPML compatibility with Event Tickets Plus yet. We did hope to release it last year, but Event Tickets Plus refactoring (which was in the critical path) took precedence.

Now that Event Tickets Plus has been refactored we need to do a new round of priorities.
    I have just escalated this to see where we stand and will get back to you with the results of that inquiry.

Kudos on the workaround.

– Are there any existing workarounds that would allow creating just one set of tickets that can then be used in both languages? With Multilingual wooCommerce I am able to translate the event names and descriptions so we are not that far away.

We have a similar one with the exact same limitation: the tickets are not true translations (including stock sync).

To achieve that, you will need:

1. WooCommerce multilingual
    2. Some manual intervention

After creating the ticket AND saving the event, head over to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting page.

Once you are there, you should see several cleanup buttons. I would recommend:

1. Clearing WPML cache
    2. Using the button that forces language assignment to items (which is what is creating the issue). This can also be accomplished by deactivating and reactivating WPML.

Your ticket will now magically appear.

The only downside is that the tickets you create in other languages are not really translations of the initial ticket. They are completely independent new tickets.

– Let’s say I accept having my /buy-tickets being only available in english to not duplicate the events, is there a way to then redirect to the shopping cart in the correct language?

That would be a question for the awesome WPML crew. But, just off the top of my head, you could probably “cheat” using a redirection plugin 🙂

I wish I had a better answer for you, but for now it’s the best one I have unfortunately.

Have a good weekend,

Geoff B.

Hi Geoff,

After some more in-depth testing I realized the workaround was not working properly, as when I try to edit the tickets in the translated page, they disappear. Doing the steps you mentioned doesn’t bring them back.

Instead, I went with the YITH events and WooThemes One page checkout plugins to get similar functionality than your plugin. I will still be using your plugin for a single-language event website, and as soon as you add WPML compatibility I will be using it for my multi-language websites too. I am just feeling a little bummed I didn’t do my research on the plugin compatibility before buying it and spending several days trying to get it to work.

I would still be interested in knowing some more details about when the feature will be made public, even if it’s just a tentative date.

Thanks!

Hey there Jamie,

Thank you for taking the time to write back.
    I can totally understand where you are coming from.

As a side note, I am one of the strongest advocates for increased WPML compatibility.
    Therefore, as promised, I escalated this and I was able to find a strategy to hopefully expedite things on that front.

I still cannot offer a date at this point, but I will put the strategy in place this week.
    You can rest assured that you will be informed as soon as it’s out.

Have a great day!

Geoff B.

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks for prioritizing this feature! I still feel Event Tickets Plus is the best plugin for my needs so as soon as it is ready I will be using it exclusively for my event websites.

Good evening Jami,

Hang tight and thank you for your fantastic words.

Cheers,
    Geoff

This thread hasn’t seen any activity for quite some time and we are not accepting further replies.

If you need further help with this or any other issue, please create a new topic (you can of course include a link to this one if that helps to provide additional context) and one of the team will be only too happy to help.