Help Desk

_transient* options in wp_options

• Topics: 1

Hi there

We have a site which is running Events Calendar Pro and Events Tickets plus. Performance hasn’t been great but we have noticed the wp_options table has 8000+ rows of data with a key of _transient followed by a hash (usually). The value is all sorts of things from json content through to what looks like js templates for the calendar. This is making the table around 550mb!

So I’m wondering what is the purpose of these entries? Can I delete them and can I stop so many being created?

Thanks
    Wes

Hi Wes,

I’d be happy to look into this issue for you.

Transients are meant to be, well, transient. They are supposed to clean up after themselves after a set amount of time. That being said, you can always delete transients without fear of losing data or breaking anything.

Looking into it, I see that this has been reported by other users, and there is a ticket created for it. I will try to dig up some more information to see why it’s happening and what can be done about it.

In the meantime, you can use a plugin like Transient Cleaner to remove them.

I will report back here when I have some more information.

Thanks,
    Sky