Howdy all! We’ve improved the Customizer experience in the WordPress Appearance settings, cleaned up permalinks, and corrected a datepicker issue.
⚠️Heads up: if you are using Events Calendar Pro and Filter Bar, you’ll need to match versions. The Events Calendar 5.0.2, Events Calendar Pro 5.0.2, and Filter Bar 4.9.2 work together.
This is a minor release that should be smooth sailing when updating. That said, it’s always a good idea to backup your site and test changes in a development environment before installing this on your live site, as you would with any other WordPress update.
Let’s get to the changelogs:
- Version – The Events Calendar 5.0.2 is only compatible with Filter Bar 4.9.2 and higher
- Version – The Events Calendar 5.0.2 is only compatible with Events Calendar PRO 5.0.2 and higher
- Tweak – Link colors within single event descriptions, venues, organizers can now be modified from Appearance > Customize > The Events Calendar > General > Link Color. Previously, this only worked for Calendar Views. We’ve also expanded it to include the website link in the classic editor. Check out more ways to customize the look of our plugins on your site in these articles:
- Tweak – We moved the link color option to General tab in Customizer and removed the Text tab.
- Tweak – We now include an opt-out option for Freemius, our data collection tool. If you’ve signed up to give us access and wish to revoke that, you can now opt-out.
- Tweak – Freemius updated to the latest version 2.3.2
- Tweak – In our new views, we’ve consolidated the Tribe Event Styles and Full Styles. Full styles is now removed from new views, so we’ve removed that option in Events > Settings > Display.
- Tweak – We have renamed the “Enable live refresh” option to “Filter Activation.” You can find this at Events > Settings > General > Filter Activation. If you have the new views enabled, this setting won’t show anymore because the new views do not use have the same event bar that the legacy views have. However, if you are a Filter Bar user, you can find this setting at the bottom of Events > Settings > Filters. We also changed this option to radio buttons that enable live refreshes or wait for the submit button to display filters.
- Tweak – Users of new views found that clicking the “Fix Venues” button in settings does not resolve the admin notice. We added some visibility-related methods to the Tribe__Admin__Notices class.
- Tweak – Using default permalinks was breaking the month view navigation. We’re including Rewrites::is_plain_permalink() with proper caching.
- Tweak – As part of fixing the permalinks issue, we’re also including two new locations for tribe_context():plain_permalink and tribe_context():permalink_structure.
- Fix – When you edit the event slugs (Events > Settings > General > Events URL slug), we are preventing a PHP warning if one of these is empty.
- Fix – When creating an event, users found that entering a start and end date, they would disappear from the event admin. We’ve fixed the conflict by setting a default value for the datepicker format option to avoid issues in some settings combinations (thanks @helgathevikin!).
- Fix – Freemius activation URL no longer results in an error message. Instead, we take you to a more helpful Settings page.
- Fix – Many of you are using Beaver Builder plugins with us. We have improved compatibility for the new calendar view designs with Beaver Builder plugins.
- Fix – In single events, you can disable an event from displaying the upcoming events list. The REST-API V2 was not handling that well. Now the front end and REST-API both handle the event hide from upcoming field (hide_from_listings). (Thanks @maxm123!)
- Fix – Single events with the new views were not displaying schema markup, which is import when telling search engines that this is an event. We fixed that to ensure the new calendar view designs will correctly print JSON-LD schema information by modifying these:
- Tweak – Add the tribe_cache function as proxy to tribe( ‘cache’ )
- Tweak – Add the a JSON-LD data dedicated Debug Bar panel.
- Tweak – Add the post_tag location to the context.
- Hooks – https://docs.theeventscalendar.com/reference/since/the.events.calendar5.0.2/
- Language – 4 new strings added, 248 updated, 1 fuzzied, and 3 obsoleted
- Language in Tribe Common – 1 new strings added, 35 updated, 1 fuzzied, and 0 obsoleted