🔔 Please Note: Facebook Importer is no longer actively maintained, and has been replaced with Event Aggregator.
Most folks with a Facebook Importer license will have an Event Aggregator license in their account for free automatically.
To learn more about Event Aggregator, check out FAQs here. There’s a general guide about moving to Event Aggregator here, and a collection of more specific guides here. You can also drop by our help desk any time with questions.
A Facebook App ID is required to use the Facebook Events Add On, so before using the add on you’ll want to make sure to have a Facebook App ID and App Secret. If you need to create a Facebook App, please follow the steps below. If you have an App ID and App Secret but need help putting them into your site, scroll to 3. Plug In Your App ID & Secret.
If you are looking for an explanation of the Events Calendar Facebook settings, you can head straight to Facebook Importer Settings below.
Facebook App Creation
1. Register as a developer
To create an app you will need first have a Personal Profile on Facebook. If you already have a Facebook account and have registered as a developer you can skip ahead to “Create the App.” Otherwise, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Facebook.com and login (or create an account as needed). Note that if you are simply using Facebook to manage pages, these instructions will not work – you need a personal Facebook account before you can proceed to step 2.
- Next to go https://developers.facebook.com and you will see a bar that looks like this:
Click on the green Register as a Developer button in the upper right. You will have to verify your Facebook account via phone, so please also do that if you haven’t already.
- Once you’ve verified your account, clicking the Register as a Developer button will display this popup:
- Check the Accept Terms box and click Continue.
- Verify your account by either phone or text for your Developer Account.
- Either skip or complete all the information on the Tell Us About You screen as best you can. You might want to uncheck the box at the bottom to not receive emails – unless you want to 🙂
- Click Done on the next screen. You are now a Facebook Developer!
For further instructions please visit Facebook’s Tutorial on creating a Developer Account.
2. Create the app
- Now browse back to https://developers.facebook.com/.
- On the top bar you will see Apps, click on that to open the dropdown and then click Add a New App.
- In the popup that appears select Website
- On the Next Page click on the Skip and Create App ID button (it is underlined in red). Then Fill in the App name and choose a category.
- Next, complete the Captcha verification and click Continue.
- This will now create your Facebook App and show you a screen that looks like this:
3. Plug in your app ID & secret
Now that you’ve created your App ID and Secret, you just need to plug in those in the Facebook Events settings tab in your website.
- If you have not activate the Facebook Events Add On do so now.
- Within the WordPress admin environment, go to the Events → Settings → Add-On APIs screen.
- Copy and paste your App ID in the Facebook App ID field.
- Copy and paste your App Secret in the Facebook App Secret field.
- Click “Save Changes.”
- You are done now and ready to start importing.
Facebook Importer Settings
The Facebook tab in your Event Settings also includes these options:
- Organization and page usernames / IDs to fetch from: Fetch from one or multiple organizations/pages by adding them, one per line, to this field. Events from these organizations and pages will then be displayed and available for import on your Import: Facebook page, or to be auto-imported (see below). Any combination of pages/organizers is acceptable. Make sure you’re adding just the information requested in the “Selecting pages or organizations to import events with” at the top of the page and not the full URL. You cannot fetch events from individuals, but you can import those manually (on the Import: Facebook page) with the event ID.
- Default status to use for imported events: Should imported events automatically be published, or do you want them saved in draft or pending review status?
- Enable Google Maps on imported events: This enables the display of frontend maps for any event you’ve fetched from Facebook. Keep in mind you must have Google Maps enabled for the overall The Events Calendar plugin (in the “General” settings tab) for this to work. Also, the Facebook event must have an accurate address in order to be mappable.
- Auto import from Facebook: Check this box to automatically import events from the page(s) and organizer(s) you’ve defined above. Make sure if you enable this that you’re also setting the import frequency, below.
- Import frequency: How often does the auto import from Facebook (which you enabled above) run? Options include “Weekly,” “Daily”, “Twice Daily” and “Hourly.” Your first auto import will run according to what you set here; ie if you select “Hourly,” the import will run 1 hour after you save this page; “Weekly,” the import will run 1 week after you save this page; etc.