Are you equal parts coder and power user? Do you feel at home writing inline docs and user tutorials? Have a strong command of WordPress’ technical side AND an overpowering desire to share that with others?
Modern Tribe is growing. We’re seeking 2 great freelancers to join our forum team in the WordPress Plugin Support role. You will help users of The Events Calendar, Events Calendar PRO and our other premium add-ons as you troubleshoot common integration issues and report bugs.
Everyone on Modern Tribe’s support team prioritizes the forums over all else, but you will also pitch in on weekly tasks like:
- Moderating the support inbox, ensuring customers and potential customers receive responses within 24 hours of submission
- Field incoming feature requests and document them for consideration in the roadmap
- Take point on the WordPress.org forums for our core plugin offerings
- Testing bug reports locally and logging them in our projects system, with appropriate detail and testing instructions, when a bug is confirmed as legitimate
- Pre-release quality assurance testing for every new release and product
- Recording video walkthroughs highlighting plugin functionality
- Creating tutorials, documentation, screencasts and other forum materials to help guide people to success
- Writing snippets to solve one-off problems
- Helping run regular user testing sessions
- Being the voice of the community during roadmap discussions
- Supporting product partners (other theme/plugin authors) and non-profits
You will be on the front-lines, representing Modern Tribe and The Events Calendar to customers… in many ways, you are the face of the company and the bridge between us and our customers.
We are excited to work with freelancers that can come in and make a positive impact. If you have these qualities, we’d love to hear from you!
- Superb communication skills, a transparent attitude and self-confidence
- A love for all things WordPress with a good understanding of its codebase and community
- Basic familiarity with (at least) The Events Calendar, our main plugin
- A familiarity with GIT. In other words, you can clone repos, pull branches and set up local WordPress installs without hassle
- Passion for Modern Tribe’s company culture: Happy, Helpful, Curious, Accountable & Good
- Freelance full-time and have been doing so for at least 1 year (you’re not a full-time employee moonlighting; if you don’t consider freelancing your business, this probably won’t be a good fit)
- At least 1 year of experience managing yourself in a remote, distributed working environment
- Must be in PST, CST, MST or EST time zones and do their work during business hours in that time zone
Huge bonus points awarded to those who:
- Have built your own WordPress plugins (EXTRA bonus points if those plugins extend The Events Calendar)
- Love doing video tutorials and have a home setup to do it
- Have a proven track record providing support specifically for WordPress plugins, or have an active track record in the WordPress.org community
Your main priority is the support forum at TheEventsCalendar.com, where we work daily to provide hundreds of users with timely and clear solutions to their problems. The support team keeps an open Slack channel where they pop in throughout the day, check on the status of our support queue with a handy helper bot we’ve integrated, then divide and conquer as a team. We never want to end the day with unaddressed threads, and no thread should go more than 24 hours (during the workweek) without a reply. And yes, if you’ve got “danglers”, our support bot will call you out for it.
Since forum work ebbs and flows, there are plenty of days where the queue is cleared out early and team members still have hours available. How you spend this time will vary. Sometimes it’ll be QA, to test out new plugins or updates to existing ones. Other times it’ll be documentation, putting together tutorials and videos to address commonly-posed questions. Marketing, design and development opportunities are also on the table for you if you demonstrate a hunger to learn — we all have the opportunity to get involved with other areas of the business, but everyone’s main priority each day is support and keeping users happy.
Modern Tribe is a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. We are a great mix of freelancers and full timers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.
We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more shit. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.
We can’t wait to meet you!
Think you’d be a good fit? Awesome! Head back over to our Work With Us page, and fill out an application on the form provided, make sure to select Community/Support from the radio buttons to let us know which position you’re applying for. Please be prepared to answer a few sample support questions prior to your interview. Also, please include a note about your favorite color so we know you read this.