We’re looking for a talented freelance WordPress theme & frontend developer in North America.
We’re currently working on high-profile WordPress implementations that range between conventional to seriously bleeding edge. We will want to see plugin code examples – public plugins are ideal. We want people that are able to develop code that can withstand high profile sites and intense loads. You should be comfortable working as part of a team – your code will have to integrate into an existing architecture. If the tightly optimized code get’s you excited – you’re probably a good fit.
Modern Tribe is a digital agency with a modern twist. We are a product company. We are educators. All freelancers. All experts. In today’s world, we get to be many things to many people.
We believe in making quality products for other people and ourselves, balanced by living quality lives. We are 100% distributed & our team is spread around North America (and a hint beyond).
We believe that you should be happy, helpful, curious & accountable, on top of being good at what you do. We believe life should be lived intentionally. We believe in a class of artisans and craftsman in control of their work who solve people problems rather than just build more crap. We believe in a sustainable vision of open source, and contribute consistently into the ecosystem.
We love working with each other because we have built a culture that suits us well. We work exclusively with freelancers and coordinate their talents for large projects. To be on our team, you must be:
- Helpful: Always looking for ways that you can help others.
- Happy: Where there is a will, there is a way. Having a positive disposition allows us to achieve great things and to support each other.
- Curious: It is essential that you have a passion for learning. Technology changes daily, and life has a way of constantly raising the bar.
- Accountable: Our clients expect us to get the right thing done on budget and on time. Communicating expectations and meeting them is the cornerstone of success.
Work from anywhere in the US or Canada. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if your working hours are in a timezone outside of the US range.
- Architect and document theme solutions using best practices
- Integrate code into existing theme architecture
- Coordinate with designers, back-end developers and other theme devs
- Produce code solutions that load quickly and smoothly
- Be a part of QA team and optimize / review other team members’ code
- Work with design team to architect most effective solutions
- Strong communication and/or experience working as part of a remote team
- Self-motivated, detail-oriented, strong organizational skills, with a methodical approach to all tasks
- Ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines
- Fluent English speaker
Required Knowledge and Experience
- Full Time freelancers only!
- WordPress structure, themes, and plugins
- Experience with dynamic CSS systems such as LESS or SASS
- Basic LAMPS skills
- Proficiency at local environment development
Additional Experience a Plus
- Examples of plugins / code that you’ve released to the open source community
- Advanced WordPress debug skills
- Apple Mac dev environment
Pay range is between $35-60 per hour commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a one time contract position, though we are always seeking longer relationships with kick-ass people.
We believe that freelancing is a way of life. We understand what it means to be a freelancer. We offer consistency in expectations, payment, and support. We believe in learning from each other and fostering personal growth. You can expect to learn a lot while working with us.
You should apply at our Join the Tribe page. Make sure to select “Frontend Development” from the list of options. BEFORE APPLYING, please read the job post carefully. So many people seem to apply without actually reading it. PLEASE DO NOT APPLY if your working timezone is outside of the US range.
With your application, make sure to include the following:
- Links to examples of your work
- Links to code samples
- Your favorite color (that way we know you actually read this)
- A couple of references
We look forward to hearing from you!