The Events Calendar ships with Google Maps integration right out of the box. Enter an API key, and the calendar will display fully embedded maps into event pages and the calendar Map view.
But what if you want to use a different map solution instead of Google Maps? Well, this might be the extension for you. It replaces Google Maps with another popular mapping service called OpenStreetMap.
We want to give a special thanks to Gerd Weyhing for the inspiration and a shout out to Hans-Gerd Gerhards for bringing it to our attention! You rock.
The extension adds the following options to The Events Calendar settings under Events → Settings → General.
These settings adjust the maps on event and venue pages. Remember, venue pages are a feature of Events Calendar Pro.
- Enable zoom control – Shows or hides the zoom control buttons on the map.
- Default zoom level – Sets the map’s default zoom level.
- Default height of map – Sets the height of the map container.
Map View Settings
These settings are for the calendar’s Map view, which is included in Events Calendar Pro.
- Default zoom level – Sets the default zoom level for the map when the calendar is in Map view.
- Default height – Sets the height of the map container when the calendar is in Map view.
- Default address on Map view – Sets the default location of the map when it loads. Required format: Street Address, ZIP City, County/State (optional), Country.
There are a few limitations to this extension that you should know:
- It doesn’t support venue geocoding via OpenStreetMap. However, you can still use your Google Maps API key for that just as you would without this extension. That can be entered on the Events → Settings → APIs screen in The Events Calendar plugin settings.
- The extension only works with the “classic” calendar views. You may be aware that we are working on a full redesign of the calendar views and this extension will need to be updated in a later release to be compatible with those new views.
- Version 1.0.0 (November 20, 2019) – Initial release.